The Council is incorporated under the Education Act, and from 1st April 2016 the new Education Act (2015), and operates within Department of Education policies and guidelines. Broadly the functions of the Council include:
- Advising the principal about the educational needs of the community and policy implementation.
- Assessing and advising on the physical needs of the school
- Overseeing work on buildings and grounds being carried out at the school
- Building links between parents, community groups and the school.
- Determining the school’s annual budget.
- Determining community use of school facilities
- Employing school council staff
KHS Council can have up to 19 members including parents, teachers, students, invited members and the school Principal. Elections for council representatives are held during Annual General Meetings at the start of each year. It is recognised that all council members provide a valuable service in school governance and the continuous improvement of Katherine High school.
2022 Council Members
The Council usually meets Week 4 and Week 8 of each Term throughout the school year on Wednesday from 5:30pm at the School Library. Meeting dates are advertised via the school website, newsletter and Facebook page.
In addition to formal Council meetings, the Council supports the establishment of 4 sub-committees that also meet termly prior to Council meetings. Subcommittees are established to progress key Council priorities, working through the detail to ensure the Council has sound advice, options and recommendations to inform decision making.